All of these activities listed below, as well as many others, are designed to benefit the citizens of Garland and allow the City to comply with federal and state laws and regulations. Stormwater Management is not a department it is a program. The program has these activities executed through various city departments.
- Channel and Storm Drain Maintenance - Our street department remove any debris that could cause drainage problems during rain events.
- Construction Site Run-Off Control - Field Engineering inspects sites to reduce the amount of sediment that enters our drainage system and waterways.
- Education - Pollution prevention presentations are free of charge and available upon request for neighborhood block parties, schools, and civic groups.
- Hazardous Material Spill Response, Containment, and Clean-Up - The City’s Health Department is involved in this responsibility to reduce hazardous pollutants from entering our waterways.
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection - The City contracts with Dallas County Home Chemical Collection Center to help keep toxic products from entering our water supply and landfill.
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination - Health Department continually samples our water for pollutants and tracks down the source of pollution when necessary.
- Industrial Inspection - Health Department inspects local industries to ensure compliance.
- Litter Management - Parks Department routinely picks up trash at our parks in order to reduce trash in our waterways.
- Mutt Mitts - Parks Department maintains our pet waste dispensers at our parks.
- Storm Drain Marking - to help citizens be aware that storm drains lead directly to our local waterways.
- Stormwater Detention and Flood Management - The Engineering department determines projects to reduce flooding.
- Stormwater Hotline - to provide stormwater quality information and for residents to report pollution.
- Street Sweeping - to reduce pollutants on the street surfaces that can flush to waterways. This stormwater activity is conducted by the Street Department.
- Water Monitoring and Sampling - to identify sources of pollution and to correct them. This is conducted both by our Health Department and on a regional basis.